The process of applying for a consultancy job for a side job or working student can be overwhelming, especially if you’ve never applied before. As a university/college student, you naturally want to come across as well as possible and have the best chance of getting the job. In this blog, we help you with golden tips and advice for a job interview to make the application process run as smoothly as possible and to come across as well as possible.
Before you can come for an interview, you must first submit your CV. To create your CV for an interview, it is important to consider a number of factors. Below are a few tips:
- Provide a clear and uncluttered layout: use a clear and uncluttered layout, such as a clear font and space between the different parts of your CV.
- Make it job specific: Make sure your resume is specific to the job you’re applying for. Emphasize the experience and skills relevant to the position and make sure they are clearly visible on your resume
- Keep it short and concise: A resume should be short and concise. Try to limit it to two pages and highlight only the most important information.
- Provide meaningful buttons: Use meaningful buttons and captions to differentiate and emphasize the different parts of your resume.
- Check for mistakes: Thoroughly check for grammatical and spelling errors before submitting your resume. A resume with errors gives a bad impression and shows that you are not accurate.
- Ensure a uniform style: make sure that the style of your resume is uniform, both in formatting and in language. This ensures a professional appearance.
Once you are invited for an interview, it is important to be well-prepared. Companies in the consulting industry are looking for candidates with excellent communication skills, analytical skills and the ability to solve complex problems. To prepare for an application at a consultancy company, it is useful to know which application questions you can expect and how you can best answer them. Four common interview questions are discussed below.
1. Tell something about yourself?
This is a frequently asked question during job interviews, and is often the opening question of the interview. It is important to give a clear and concise introduction of yourself, your education and experience. Also try to indicate what your motivations are and why you are interested in a job at this company.
2. Why do you want to work at our company?
This question is important because the consulting company wants to see if you are specifically interested in their company or just looking for a job in the consulting industry. Make sure you have researched the company and know why you are specifically interested in a job at this company.
3. Tell us about a complex problem you solved?
Consulting companies are looking for people with strong analytical skills and the ability to solve complex problems. Give a concrete example of a problem you solved in the past and how you handled it. Make sure you demonstrate that you think creatively and solution-oriented.
4. Where do you see yourself in 5 years?
This question is important to see if you are ambitious and willing to grow and continue to develop within the company. Try to give a clear vision of where you see yourself in five years, both professionally and personally. Show that you are determined to achieve your goals and that you are consciously engaged in your own development and growth. It is also important to indicate that you are willing to contribute to the success of the company and that you are a team player.
Finally, we have a number of golden tips to start a consultancy application process as prepared as possible.
Golden tips for a consultancy application:
- Know your sector: make sure you are aware of the latest developments and trends in the consultancy sector in which you are applying.
- Demonstrate your problem-solving skills: Consulting companies often look for students who can think well and solve problems quickly and efficiently. Show that you have these skills during the interview.
- Be commercially minded: consultancy companies focus on helping companies to perform better and make more profit. Show that you understand what it takes to be successful in this industry.
- Know the company and their way of working: Research the company and learn more about their way of working and philosophy. When applying for a consultant, show that you know how the company works and how you fit into it as a working student consultancy.
- Be critical: Consultancy companies value people who can think critically and come up with new solutions. Show that you are able to develop and put forward creative and innovative ideas.
- Show your communication skills: The companies often require good communication skills in order to work successfully with customers and other stakeholders. Show during the consultancy application that you are strong in communication and collaboration.
Start applying now!
Finding the best consultancy job can take time, especially if you have little experience with consultancy applications. So start applying and practicing as soon as possible. Find out which companies suit you and in which consultancy sector you want to work. Curious about what kind of companies there are? Check out our company page to get an idea. Working alongside your education can be tough, so look for a job where, in addition to learning a lot, you can also have fun. View our vacancies for the best side jobs for students! More interested in a working studentship? Check out our working student page for more information!